ProtonVPN allows users to change active subscriptions at any time. Remaining unused subscription days will be refunded to your account. Read on for more info on three related terms: Account Credit, Proration and Coupons.
ProtonVPN offers a variety of different plans, from the entry level ProtonVPN Free plan all the way to the high-end Visionary Plan. Users are free to pick a plan and modify or cancel their subscription any time 24/7/365. To understand how the remaining amount is calculated and handled, read on about Account Credit, Prorationing and Coupons.
This is Credit available to your account (in the currency of your last payment) to be used with your next subscription. Credits are obtained when you make a payment through Bitcoin or when you cancel an active subscription with any number of days left.
A proration is the amount of credit you get for unused subscription days when you modify an active subscription (i.e. upgrading or downgrading an existing plan). Prorationing will calculate the number of unused subscription days and transfer those days as account credits to your Account. The granted credit can then be used towards the next subscription.
- Example: A user paid for an annual ProtonVPN Plus plan for 96.00 EUR. The user then decides to cancel the subscription, with 100 days remaining at the time of cancellation. The Proration amount will be
96.00 EUR / 365 days * 100 days = 26.30 EUR
Coupons are used to grant special subscription discounts such as for
- the Bundle discount which is available for combining ProtonMail with ProtonVPN,
- for our dedicated supporters who purchased a lifetime Visionary plan,
- our early supporters during the original ProtonMail corwdfunding, or similar.
Coupons can be entered during the checkout process in the Coupon form as shown in the screenshot below.
Example Scenario: Upgrading an existing Subscription with Account Credit and no Coupon
A user with 20 EUR credit on their account and an existing annual ProtonVPN Basic subscription (48 EUR/year) with 100 days left, wants to upgrade to an annual ProtonVPN Plus Plan (96EUR/year). The user goes to their web dashboard (account.protonvpn.com) and selects a ProtonVPN Plus plan. What happens for the final price calculation is:
- The new plan cost is shown, including an annual payment discount if applicable (96EUR/year)
- Your existing plan’s proration is calculated and deducted from the total cost, in this case 48 EUR / 365 days * 100 days = 13.15 EUR
- Any coupon discounts are applied, in this case none.
- Note: If user combine ProtonMail with ProtonVPN, they can get the bundle discount coupon automatically which adds a -20% discount
- Any existing credit will be used towards this new subscription, in this case 20 EUR
- The final amount due = 1. – 2. – 3. – 4. ; in this case: 96EUR – 13.15EUR – 0 EUR – 20 EUR = 62.85 EUR.
The final amount can be paid with any desired method such as Credit Card or Paypal. Bitcoin payments will require first adding more credit to the account.
(Note: the amounts in the screenshot do not correspond to the example. The screenshot only shows the location where this information is displayed)