VPN Connection fails due to gateway_unreachable error
Symptom: Starting and logging in to the ProtonVPN Android app is successful, however, when connecting to a server, the connection fails and returns error “Unable to VPN: gateway_unreachable”.
Cause: Most common issue causing this error is that IPSec passthrough is not enabled in the router settings.
- At first, if possible, try connecting on a different network or try using mobile data and check if the issue persists – this will give you a better idea whether IPSec being disabled is the main issue.
- If the issue persists, open your router settings via a web browser and enter the IP Address of your router (usually the IP address is 192.168.1.1, you can also check it on the device itself).
- After logging in to your router, you will have to look for IPSec settings in the router menu. Each router has different settings, so the best practice is to either check your router manual or consult with an IT specialist.
VPN Connection fails due to authentication failure
Symptom: Starting and logging in to the ProtonVPN Android app is successful, however, when connecting to a server, the connection fails. The Android application logs indicate “Auth Fail”. You can access the logs if you click the hamburger Menu button, and click “Show log”.
Cause: Likely due to hitting the maximum number of connected devices and/or too many recent connections (attempts) that were not properly terminated.
- Make sure that you are not exceeding your connection limit. The simultaneous connections are different for each plan. With the free plan, you cannot have more than 1 connection at a time. Make sure that you do not have a device in the other room that is still connected. Check out our plans for more details about the different features.
- Wait about 5 minutes, and retry connecting to a different server. Our servers periodically “clean up” old and inactive sessions. If you’ve had a connection that was not closed properly (think, wifi dropped, device crashed or similar), our infrastructure will detect and close such connections after a certain waiting period.
- If you have a paid subscription, check whether all invoices are paid, otherwise you will be able to log in to the app, but you won’t be able to connect.