ProtonVPN is a security and privacy focused VPN application for Android. If you have an Android device and are looking for a reliable and free VPN client, then the ProtonVPN Android VPN app is one of the best options.
Disclaimer, ProtonVPN application is supported by Android OS 4.4.2 and above.
With a single tap, you can connect to hundreds of VPN servers around the world, view blocked sites and content, while also hiding your IP address. This guide shows you how to use VPN on Android with the ProtonVPN mobile app. It also provides an overview of the various features that are included in the ProtonVPN Android app.
Note, ProtonVPN also supports the standard OpenVPN protocol so you can also use ProtonVPN on Android with any OpenVPN client. Click here to learn how to set up OpenVPN on Android. However, the ProtonVPN app is the best Android VPN option because it supports the faster and more reliable IKEv2 protocol (and is one of the only Android IKEv2 clients available today).
1) To get started with the ProtonVPN Android app, you can download it directly from the Google Play Store.
The app page in the Play Store will look something like this:
2) After installation is complete, open the app.
3) The main app menu will open up. If you already have an account, enter your ProtonVPN account credentials. If you do not have an account yet, tap on “Create new account“.
4) Once you are logged in to the app, the main server list window will open up. There are several ways to connect to VPN servers. Please note that different ProtonVPN plans will provide you with access to different servers. If you have a paid Basic or Plus plan, you will have access to more servers and faster servers. You can check server accessibility for each plan here.
5) First method to connect to a server is using Quick Connect button. In order to access it, tap on the circular ProtonVPN logo on the bottom right of your screen (next to “Not connected (Unprotected)” ). Quick Connect uses a complex algorithm that takes various server parameters into consideration, so you will get connected to the Fastest VPN server based on your location and our server load. You can also pick to connect to a random server.
6) Second method to connect is by using the Countries list. Countries tab lists all available countries you can connect to. You can open any country and manually select the server you would like to connect to, or use the Fastest Server quick connect method, which will connect you to the fastest server based on your location and server load.
7) Third option to connect is using the map which you can access by tapping on Map View tab. Click on a country to automatically connect to the fastest server in that country. By pinching, you can zoom in and zoom out.
8) By enabling the Secure Core feature, servers displayed in Countries and Map View tabs will change to Secure Core servers. Secure Core feature is available for Plus and Visionary users. You can more about Secure Core here.
9) You can also create a connection Profile in the Profiles tab. You can select a few options for the profile – always connecting to a fastest (uses Quick Connect algorithm) / random server in a particular country or always connecting to one of your selected individual servers. By setting the profile to Default, the Quick Connect button will always connect to this profile in the future, and if you set the app to autostart on device boot, it will automatically connect to your default profile.
10) You can also set up a profile for Secure Core servers as well. With Secure Core, you can manually configure both your entry and exit country.
11) All of your connection profiles can be easily accessed by tapping on ProtonVPN logo at the bottom right corner and holding for a moment.
13) When you attempt to make your first connection, you must tap OK on the Connection request screen.
14) In order to disconnect from the server, swipe up to open the connection profile and tap on Disconnect.
15) And that’s it! You can open full application menu by tapping on the burger menu at the top left corner of your screen.
If you encounter any problems, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our support team here: https://protonvpn.com/support-form