Proton VPN is a security and privacy-focused VPN application for Android. If you have an Android device and are looking for a reliable and free VPN client, then the Proton VPN Android VPN app is one of the best options.Note: the Proton VPN app requires Android 6.0 and above.
With a single tap, you can connect to hundreds of VPN servers around the world, view blocked sites and content, while also hiding your IP address.
This guide shows you how to use VPN on Android with the Proton VPN mobile app. It also provides an overview of the various features that are included in the Proton VPN Android app. These include:
- Kill switch and permanent kill switch
- Choose between the OpenVPN, WireGuard, and Stealth VPN protocols
- Smart protocol
- DNS leak protection
- NetShield Ad-blocker
- Moderate NAT
- VPN Accelerator
- Alternative routing
It is possible to manually configure OpenVPN and WireGuard on Android, but doing this means you lose all the advanced features available on the Proton app.
Our Android app can also be used to secure your Chromebook.
How to install Proton VPN on Android
1. Download, install, and open our app.
2. Sign in using your Proton Account username and password. If you do not have an account yet, get a free Proton VPN account for Android.
How to use Proton VPN on Android
1. Connect to a VPN server.
Once you’re signed in, you will see the Countries server list. If you are on our Free plan, you can use our Free servers in the United States, Netherlands, and Japan. If you are on any paid Proton VPN plan, you can connect to any of our high-speed servers in over 60 countries.
There are several ways to connect to VPN servers.
a) The easiest way to connect to a server is by clicking or tapping the Quick Connect button.
Quick Connect automatically calculates and connects to the fastest VPN server for your location based on factors such as distance to the server and server load.
b) You can also manually select an individual server to connect to. To do this, select a country, then click or tap the On button next to the server you wish to connect to.
c) Go to the Map tab and select a server from our map. You can pinch to zoom in and out of the map.
Click or tap a location once to select it → Connect.
2. If this is your first time using the app, it will ask you to allow the connection request. Click or tap OK.
You are now connected to a Proton VPN server. You can use the internet privately and bypass censorship blocks.
3. To disconnect from your current server, either connect to a different server or select the Disconnect button that appears when you are connected.
Proton VPN offers a range of advanced features, some of which are only available if you have a paid plan. To learn more about these, please see:
- How to change VPN protocols or select Smart Protocol
- VPN connection profiles
- Netshield Ad-blocker
- Always-on VPN
- Kill switch (but please note here)
- VPN Accelerator
- Secure Core VPN
Most of these advanced features can be accessed from the Settings menu.
To find this, go to ☰ → Settings.