WireGuard® is a fast, lightweight, and secure VPN protocol used by default in our official iPhone and iPad app.
We strongly recommend using our official app on your iPhone or iPad. It provides the easiest way to connect to our servers and allows you to benefit from many of Proton VPN’s advanced features. For example:
It’s also possible to manually configure WireGuard on your iPhone and iPad using third-party apps. In this guide, we show you how to configure WireGuard on your iPhone and iPad device using the official WireGuard VPN app for iOS and iPadOS.
How to manually configure WireGuard on your iPhone and iPad
1. Install the official WireGuard VPN client from the App Store.
2. In a browser, sign in to account.protonvpn.com, go to Downloads → WireGuard configuration, and download a WireGuard configuration file.
3. Open the official WireGuard app and tap the Add a tunnel button.
4. Tap Create from file or archive.
6. Select the WireGuard configuration (.conf) file you download in step 2 and then tap Allow to confirm the configuration request.
7. Toggle the switch next to your newly-created connection to on. Your privacy is now protected by Proton VPN!
Tap the + button again to add as many WireGuard tunnels as you like.
Visit ip.me in a browser to confirm that the VPN connection is working correctly.