Downloading the ProtonVPN app
If your Mac runs macOS 10.14 or earlier, you will need to download version 1.9.3 of the ProtonVPN app. There are also additional instructions for using ProtonVPN on older macOS versions at the bottom of the page.
2. In your Downloads folder, click on the ProtonVPN DMG file.
3. Once the file has been extracted, click and drag the ProtonVPN app into your Applications folder.
4. You can now find the ProtonVPN app in your Applications folder. Open the app.
5. You may see the following prompt when opening the app. Select Open.
6. Enter your username and password to log in. You can also enable Start on Boot to automatically open the ProtonVPN app after starting your computer. If you do not yet have an account, you can sign up for a free plan for macOS.
Using the ProtonVPN app
1. Once you have logged in, you can select the Quick Connect button to connect to the closest VPN server with the lowest load.
2. You can also create customized VPN profiles under the Profiles tab or connect to a country server of your choice under the Countries tab.
3. While selecting a country server, you might encounter these two icons:
The left icon (two arrows facing in opposite directions) indicates that the country has servers that support P2P traffic. The right icon (an onion) indicates that the country has servers that support Tor over VPN. Select the dropdown arrow on the right to expand the country’s server list.
Customizing your settings
1. To customize your ProtonVPN settings, click on ProtonVPN located at the top left. In this menu, you can also check for updates, access your preferences, or log out of your account.
2. You can customize your preferences by selecting Preferences. You can check your account and current plan under the Account tab.
Using the ProtonVPN app for older macOS versions
The following steps are relevant for users running on macOS versions 10.12, 10.13, and 10.14.
1. When connecting to the ProtonVPN app for the first time, you might encounter this prompt:
Select Allow. These VPN configurations enable our app to redirect your internet traffic through the encrypted VPN tunnel.
2. Enter your system login password to authorize this process. Once you’ve entered your password, click Always allow.
3. Once you’ve successfully connected to a VPN server, you will be able to see the server load and the current bandwidth speed.