We offer an official Proton VPN for macOS app. If you are running macOS 10.12+, we strongly recommend that use our app, which features:
- Kill switch
- WireGuard, WireGuard TCP, IKEv2, and Stealth VPN protocols
- Smart protocol
- DNS leak protection
- NetShield Ad-blocker
- Moderate NAT
- VPN Accelerator
If you use an earlier version of macOS, or you simply prefer to use Tunnelblick, read on…
Tunnelblick is a free, open-source generic VPN app for macOS that allows you to connect to our network via the OpenVPN protocol.
1. Download OpenVPN configuration files
Log into your Proton VPN account at account.protonvpn.com, go to Downloads → OpenVPN configuration files and:
- Select Platform – The correct platform for your device (this is important, as otherwise you may be vulnerable to DNS leaks)
- Select Protocol – UDP (recommended) or TCP if you experience slow VPN speeds (this utilizes port 443)
- Select config file and download – choose whether you want to download a configuration file for a whole country, an individual server, or for a Secure Core server.
- Select a country or server and click the Download button next to it.
You can also scroll to the bottom of the section and select Download all configurations. If you do this, you’ll need a program to extract the resultant zip file.
2. Find your OpenVPN login credentials
These are different to your regular Proton Account username and password. To find them, see here.
3. Configure Tunnelblick
Install Tunnelblick by going to https://tunnelblick.net and clicking Download Latest Stable Release.
Once you have downloaded Tunnelblick, click on the downloaded file to install the program. (It will be named Tunnelblick and contain information about what version it is. For example: the downloaded file for version 3.7.8 is named Tunnelblick_3.7.8_build_5180.dmg)
Double-click on the Tunnelblick icon (it looks like a tunnel) to begin installation.
Depending on your security settings, you will be asked to confirm your Mac password to proceed with the installation.
Click I have configuration files when you see the window below.
Navigate to the menu bar and click the Tunnelblick icon that should be present in the right corner. Then select VPN Details…
Drag and drop the configuration files you downloaded into the Configurations section.
The config files use the following naming system:
- A two-letter abbreviation for the destination country.
- A number to specify a server in that country. (For example: de-01 is the first server in Germany; ca-04 is the fourth server in Canada.)
- Files with two country abbreviations are Secure Core servers. (For example: is-us-01 is the Secure Core connection through Iceland to the USA.)
Enter your OpenVPN username and password when prompted.
Note: This is not your Proton VPN account username or password.
To use our NetShield DNS filtering feature, append the suffix +f1 to your username to block malware, or +f2 to block malware, ads, and trackers (for example 123456789+f2).
Once the configuration is complete, click Connect to connect to Proton VPN.
To add more connections, repeat the steps above with different configuration files for your choice of server or country.