Note: We have released a ProtonVPN app for macOS! If your device uses macOS version 10.12 and above, you can download our app here. The tutorial for our macOS app is here. With our ProtonVPN Mac app, you can connect to ProtonVPN directly without any additional setups.
The manual connection won’t have additional features and this connection method is only available on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or newer macOS versions.
MacOS IKEv2 VPN setup for ProtonVPN
1. Download ProtonVPN IKEv2 certificate and open it from your Downloads folder: https://protonvpn.com/download/ProtonVPN_ike_root.der
2. If you are using macOS 10.13.x, the certificate will be added automatically. Otherwise, click on Add in order to add it to the keychain.
3. Right click on ProtonVPN Root CA certificate and then click on Get Info.
4. At this step, it’s enough to select Use Custom Settings and Always Trust only the IP Security (IPsec) for the ProtonVPN connection. Enter your Mac password when prompted and close the keychain window.
5. Open System Preferences and then open Network.
6. In the Network window, click on the Plus icon at the bottom-left corner.
7. A new network setup window will appear. Select VPN in the Interface field, IKEv2 in the VPN Type field, name Service however you like and click Create.
8. You will be prompted to enter server information. In the Server Address and Remote ID fields, type in the hostname of the server you wish to connect to (for example us-nj-01.protonvpn.com). Server hostnames can be found in the Downloads category in your account, under Server Configs section. Each server is named according to its server number and first two letters: https://account.protonvpn.com/downloads
9. Click on the Authentication Settings… and enter your OpenVPN/IKEv2 credentials, you can check them in the Account section: https://account.protonvpn.com/settings. Afterward, click OK.
10. Click Connect and Apply once this screen is prompted.
11. You should get connected now. You can disconnect from the Network screen or VPN status bar at the top right of your screen.