Proton VPN offers a security and privacy-focused VPN app for iOS. The Proton VPN iOS VPN app can help anyone that has an iPhone or iPad to secure their online activity with a secure, no-logs VPN service. You can sign up for a Free plan for iOS through the app or on our website.
With our VPN app for iOS, you can connect to a VPN server with a single tap. Once you are connected to one of our VPN servers, you can protect your personal data, keep your online browsing activity private, and access censored content. This guide explains how to download and use the Proton VPN app to protect your online activity.
The Proton VPN iOS app requires iOS 12.1 or later.
1. To download the Proton VPN iOS application, visit the Apple App Store or go to the Proton VPN iOS app download page.
2. After the download and installation are complete, tap Open to open the app.
3. The Proton VPN app will ask you to sign in the first time you open it.
If you already have a Proton VPN account, enter your username and password. If you do not have an account yet, get a free Proton VPN account for iOS.
4. Once you are logged in to the app, you will see the Countries server list. There are several ways to connect to VPN servers. Please note that different Proton VPN plans will provide you with access to different servers.
If you have a paid VPN Plus, Proton Unlimited, or Visionary (legacy users only) plan, you will have access to faster servers and your choice of more servers and countries. You can check which servers are accessible with each plan here.
5. The fastest way to connect to a server is by tapping Quick Connect, which is the circular Proton VPN logo at the bottom of your screen.
Quick Connect uses a sophisticated algorithm to calculate which VPN server will be fastest for you based on your location and the different traffic loads on our servers.
6. You can also choose which server you connect to yourself by scrolling through our Countries list, which lists all the countries with servers you can connect to.
To access this list, tap Countries, which is the flag at the bottom left of your screen. Tap any country and manually select the server you would like to connect to. Any countries that are not available to you on your current plan will be faded out.
7. The third way to choose a server is by using our map. Tap Map, which is between the Countries and Quick Connect buttons, to access a world map that will help you find which servers are closest to your current location. By pinching, you can zoom in and out.
Tap on a country once to select it and tap again to automatically connect to the fastest server in that country.
8. If you tap Profiles, which is to the right of the Quick Connect button, you will access the Profiles tab where you can create and save customized connection settings for future use.
You can save specific connection options — like which server in which country, and whether to connect to servers that support P2P file sharing, Tor over VPN or Secure Core — in a profile. To connect to the server designated by a profile, tap it. To create a new profile, tap the + button.
You can name and color code your profiles to keep them organized.
9. Anyone on a paid Proton VPN plan can enable our Secure Core feature by tapping the Use Secure Core switch at the top of your screen. This will automatically filter our servers, so your remaining options will all be part of our Secure Core architecture. You can read more about Secure Core here.
10. The first time you try to connect to a server, a Connection Request window will open. Tap Allow.
11. To disconnect from your current server, tap Disconnect, which will replace the Quick Connect button at the center of the bottom of your screen once you have established a VPN connection.
12. You’re ready to protect your online privacy! You can access the app settings menu by tapping on Settings.
For additional information on some of the most important features available in our iOS app, see:
- How to change VPN protocols or select Smart Protocol
- Adblocker (Netshield)
- Always-on VPN
- Kill Switch
- VPN Accelerator
Note: If you have another VPN app installed that offers a kill switch feature, it is not possible to connect using the Proton VPN app via the IKEv2 VPN protocol if the kill switch is enabled in any app. This issue does not affect OpenVPN and WireGuard connections. Learn more about how to change VPN protocols.