ProtonVPN offers a security and privacy-focused VPN app for iOS. The ProtonVPN iOS VPN app can help anyone that has an iPhone or iPad to secure their online activity with a secure, no-logs VPN service.
With our VPN app for iOS, you can connect to a VPN server with a single tap. Once you are connected to one of our VPN servers, you can protect your personal data, keep your online browsing activity private, and access censored content. This guide explains how to download and use the ProtonVPN app to protect your online activity.
Before we get started, you should know the ProtonVPN iOS app uses the IKEv2 protocol, which is faster than the OpenVPN protocol. However, ProtonVPN supports OpenVPN, just not via our native iOS VPN app. If you would like to configure an OpenVPN connection on your iOS device, we have a step-by-step guide: https://protonvpn.com/support/ios-vpn-setup/
The ProtonVPN iOS app requires iOS 10.0 or later.
1) To download the ProtonVPN iOS application, visit the Apple Store or click the following link:
2) After the download and installation are complete, tap Open to open the app.
3) The ProtonVPN app will ask you to sign in the first time you open it. If you already have a ProtonVPN account, enter your username and password. If you do not have an account yet, tap Sign Up.
4) Once you are logged in to the app, you will see the Countries server list. There are several ways to connect to VPN servers. Please note that different ProtonVPN plans will provide you with access to different servers. If you have a paid Basic or Plus plan, you will have access to faster servers and your choice of more servers and countries. You can check which servers are accessible with each plan here.
5) The fastest way to connect to a server is by tapping Quick Connect, which is the circular ProtonVPN logo at the bottom of your screen. Quick Connect uses a sophisticated algorithm to calculate which VPN server will be fastest for you based on your location and the different traffic loads on our servers.
6) You can also choose which server you connect to yourself by scrolling through our Countries list, which lists all the countries with servers you can connect to. To access this list, tap Countries, which is the flag at the bottom left of your screen. Tap any country and manually select the server you would like to connect to. Any countries that are not available to you on your current plan will be faded out.
7) The third way to choose a server is by using our map. Tap Map, which is between the Countries and Quick Connect buttons, to access a world map that will help you find which servers are closest to your current location. By pinching, you can zoom in and out. Tap on a country once to select it and tap again to automatically connect to the fastest server in that country.
8) If you tap Profiles, which is to the right of the Quick Connect button, you will access the Profiles tab where you can create and save customized connection settings for future use. You can save specific connection options — like which server in which country, and whether to connect to servers that support P2P file sharing, Tor over VPN or Secure Core — in a profile. You can also name and color code your profiles to keep them organized. To connect to the server designated by a profile, tap it.
9) Plus and Visionary users can enable our Secure Core feature by tapping the Use Secure Core switch at the top of your screen. This will automatically filter our servers, so your remaining options will all be part of our Secure Core architecture. You can read more about Secure Core here.
10) The first time you try to connect to a server, a Connection Request window will open. Tap Allow.
11) To disconnect from your current server, tap Disconnect, which will replace the Quick Connect button at the center of the bottom of your screen once you have established a VPN connection.
12) You’re ready to protect your online privacy! You can access the app settings menu by tapping on Settings, which is the gear at the bottom right of your screen.