What is a VPN protocol?
A VPN protocol is the set of instructions used to establish a secure connection between two computers (your device and the VPN server). Various VPN protocols exist, but Proton VPN supports OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard.
- OpenVPN - A battle-tested VPN protocol that is still widely regarded as the last word when it comes to VPN security.
- IKEv2 - A more modern VPN protocol that is fast while also considered by experts to be very secure.
- L2TP/IPsec - Although believed compromised by the NSA, under most circumstances, this protocol is still considered secure. It has, however, been superseded by the superior IKEv2.
- PPTP - A highly insecure protocol that some providers continue to support for compatibility reasons.
- WireGuard - A very new VPN protocol that, while fast and secure.