The following instructions are applicable for Windows versions 7,8 and 10.
Proton VPN’s native client app is the simplest way to install Proton VPN on your device. To guarantee the protection of your data we use OpenVPN protocol by default. Once installed you can start using Proton VPN right away. If you don’t yet have a Proton account, you can sign up for a Free plan for Windows. Below we also explain the steps you can take to uninstall Proton VPN.
Installing Proton VPN
To install Proton VPN, please follow these steps:
- Download the Proton VPN Windows app
- Go to your downloads folder and double click the protonvpn.exe installation file
- If a new window pops up asking “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?”, click ‘Yes’
- If installing for the first time, the OpenVPN TAP adapter installation will appear. In the window, click ‘Next >
- During the installation process, installation of Windows .NET might be required as well. If prompted, follow the instructions to install Windows .NET as well.
- Click I Agree and then Next>
- Finally click Install
- Once the installer window is open, click install on the first screen. The installer will proceed with the process automatically
- Once installed, the Proton VPN application will start, and appear in a new window. A shortcut to the application will also appear on your desktop for the ease of access.
Uninstalling Proton VPN
You can uninstall Proton VPN by following these steps:
- Right click the start button and press Programs and Features (located at the very top of the list)
- Locate the Proton VPN app and press Uninstall
- When a pop up window appears asking if you are sure you want to uninstall, click Yes