This article covers solutions to common bugs encountered while using the ProtonVPN app for macOS. If the issue you’re facing is not listed here, you can contact our support team for further assistance.
This category includes interface bugs you might encounter while using the app. The best thing to do is to reset the app to its default settings:
- Open the ProtonVPN app.
- Select Help in the app toolbar located at the top.
- Click Clear Application Data.
- The app has now been reset to its default settings.
ProtonVPN keychain error
If you enter the wrong login credentials several times, you might encounter this error message:
If this appears, please verify your username and password. If you do not yet have an account, you can sign up for a Free plan for macOS.
The Network Extension Agent, also known as neagent, enables your Mac to receive VPN authentication data from the keychain system. To allow your Mac to establish a VPN connection, you will need to enter your system password. Select Allow or Always Allow.
To resolve the keychain error, log out of your Mac user account and log back in. Alternatively, you can restart your Mac.
Network request timed out
You might encounter the following error message when logging in:
This indicates a possible error with your network, or that the ProtonVPN infrastructure is currently experiencing downtime or maintenance. To fix this issue, follow these basic troubleshooting steps:
- Restart your Mac and log back in to the app.
- Check if you can access the ProtonVPN or ProtonMail website.
- Check if you can log in to your ProtonVPN account on other devices.
- Go to System Preferences → Network. Turn your WiFi off and on or unplug and replug your ethernet cable.
- Wait a few minutes before logging in again.
- Open a terminal window: Press and hold the Command button (⌘) and the spacebar. Type in terminal in the search bar.
- Ping ProtonVPN by typing ping api.protonmail.ch in the terminal window.
- Run a traceroute by typing traceroute api.protonmail.ch in the terminal window.
If both operations are successful, there could be something wrong with your network or device. However, if you do not get a response from either operation, please contact our support team with this data, along with your device and ISP information.
Are you trying to access our VPN servers from countries that restrict internet and VPN access? Examples of these countries include China, the UAE, Turkey, Egypt, Syria, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and others. If so, your ISP might be targeting and blocking access to ProtonVPN. In that case, try setting up an OpenVPN connection via Tunnelblick.