This article covers known bugs and issues with ProtonVPN application for macOS. If you have faced an unknown error or issue with the Mac VPN application that is not listed here, please contact our support at https://protonvpn.com/support-form
Mac VPN Application issues:
General issues with the software:
This does not involve connection issues, but general UI bugs that you might face.
The best thing you can do in this situation is to reset the application to its basic parameters by deleting the application data. You can do so by following these steps:
Open ProtonVPN application-> Find Help on the toolbar while the app is opened->Click on Clear Application Data.
This will delete any information related within ProtonVPN.
ProtonVPN Keychain error.
This error message is received in the login process, after entering wrong credentials several times into the neagent when trying to establish a connection to the VPN server previously.
Possible fixes for this issue :
- Log out of your Mac user account and log back in.
- Restart your Mac
Network request timed out.
This error message is displayed when there is something wrong with login services. It could be an issue with your network, or ProtonVPN infrastructure downtime/maintenance.
Simple possible fixes:
- Restart your mac device and check the application again.
- Check if you are able to reach our website or ProtonMail website.
- Check if you can login on other devices.
- Go to system preferences > network > disable and enable Wifi or simply unplug Ethernet cable from your mac and plug it again.
- Give it a few minutes and try logging in again.
For advanced troubleshooting:
- Open terminal and and run ping api.protonmail.ch
- Run a tracroute – traceroute api.protonmail.ch
If you do get a response from those links, ProtonVPN services are working and there could be something with your network or device.
If you do not get a response from both actions, please contact our support team with this data as well your machine information and ISP.
Are you from restricted network area? For example China, UAE, Turkey, Egypt, Syria, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, Iran and many others.
Or maybe you are using your work network that could have restrictions?
If so, your ISP might be targeting and blocking access to ProtonVPN services and blocked the access to it. In that case try setting up tunneblick connection method which uses OpenVPN.