There are three ways you can use ProtonVPN on Android. The recommended way is to use the ProtonVPN app, which is one of the best Android VPN apps available. You can get ProtonVPN for free on Android from the Google Play Store, F-Droid, or Github.
If you don’t want to use the ProtonVPN Android app, you can also connect to ProtonVPN using any third-party OpenVPN client or use a StrongSwan app if you want to connect via IKEv2 protocol. The instructions below walk you through how to set up ProtonVPN via StrongSwan VPN client.
Instructions were made on a Google Pixel 2 phone with Android 8.0 (Oreo).
1. Download ProtonVPN IKEv2 certificate here:
2. Download and install StrongSwan VPN Client from Google PlayStore here.
3. Open the StrongSwan application and tap on the three-dot menu at the top right corner.
4. Tap on CA Certificates.
5. Tap on the three-dot menu again and select Import certificate.
6. Select ProtonVPN_ike_root.pem file you have downloaded previously.
7. Tap on Confirm Certificate.
8. Return to the main app screen by tapping on the back arrow.
9. Select Add VPN profile.
10. In the server field, enter the hostname of the server you wish to connect to (for example us-nj-01.protonvpn.com). Server hostnames can be found in the Downloads category in your account, under Server Configs section. Each server is named according to its server number and first two letters: https://account.protonvpn.com/downloads
In the Username and Password fields, you will have to enter your OpenVPN/IKEv2 credentials, which can be found in the Account category: https://account.protonvpn.com/settings
You can name the VPN profile, no other settings have to be changed.
Afterwards, tap on Save and the profile will be created.
11. Tap on the profile that was previously created to connect.
12. If you are prompted with a Connection request or a Warning screen, allow StrongSwan app to connect. Different Android versions may show a different message.
13. The status screen should appear and show that the device is connected to VPN. That’s all you have to do! Afterwards, you can minimize the StrongSwan app and continue using your device – all internet traffic is now going through VPN as long as the key icon at the top of your screen is present. You are ready to securely access the internet and enhance your internet privacy through the ProtonVPN servers!
In order to Disconnect, simply tap on the DIsconnect button.