We offer paid Proton VPN plans if you wish to support Proton and enjoy premium features and advanced security.
If you have a free Proton VPN plan, it’s easy to upgrade. Log in to your Proton VPN account at account.protonvpn.com/login on a computer, click the Upgrade button at the top right, and choose a new plan.
If you already have Proton VPN Plus, you can upgrade your plan by going to Dashboard → Your current plan. Select the recommended plan or Explore other plans to choose another new plan.
When you reach the checkout, you’ll be asked to select a payment method. In this article, we explain the different ways you can pay for Proton VPN:
If you are in Russia
Proton understands that it’s never been so important for everyone to be able to communicate securely and access the free and open internet. Due to the ongoing international situation, members of the Proton community in Russia are likely to encounter difficulties when paying for their Proton subscriptions in the usual ways.
If you’re in Russia and blocked from paying Proton, the only real options at the moment are UnionPay or Bitcoin. Please see our continually updated How to pay for Proton services in Russia guide for more details and our latest advice.
Credit or debit card
1. This is selected by default. If you’ve previously registered a card with Proton, it will appear as an option. Select it and skip to step 3.
If you’re new to Proton or want to use a different card, you can register a new one.
2. Enter your card details and review your payment.
3. Click Pay.
Please be sure to review your payment before you select Pay. Once you click Pay, your card will be charged the Amount due (the total minus any account credit you have in your account).
If the payment succeeds, your account will automatically be upgraded with new premium features and higher storage limits.
Please note that we cannot guarantee that prepaid cards will be accepted for reasons beyond our control.
1. Select PayPal as your payment method, review your payment, and click the PayPal button to pay.
2. A pop-up window will appear asking you to log in to your PayPal account. Log in and follow the instructions to complete your payment, or click Cancel and return to Proton Technologies AG if you want to go back and change your payment method.
Once the payment process is complete, you’ll be returned to your Proton VPN account with an upgraded plan.
You can use Bitcoin only to upgrade an existing plan, not purchase a new one. So if you don’t have a Proton Account, you’ll need to sign up for a Proton VPN Free plan first.
To pay by Bitcoin:
1. Sign up for a Proton VPN Free plan (if you don’t already have one).
2. Log in to your new account at account.protonvpn.com/login, click the Upgrade button at the top right, and choose a new paid plan.
3. At the checkout, select Bitcoin as your payment method.
4. Under Payment method, you’ll see a QR code, BTC amount, and BTC address.
If you’re using a mobile Bitcoin wallet, scan the QR code displayed in the payment window to automatically submit payment.
You can also pay for your subscription using the BTC address. Copy the BTC address into the recipient address of your wallet and enter the BTC amount.
5. Select Done after making your Bitcoin payment.
6. Once your Bitcoin payment has been verified, you’ll receive a confirmation email. Please note that the confirmation email will not be sent immediately as the Bitcoin verification process can take up to 24 hours.
The appropriate amount of credits will be deposited into your account. You can check your credits by going to Dashboard → Credits. The credits available in your account never expire.
7. You can now upgrade to a paid plan using the credits in your account. Once you select a plan, the credits will be applied automatically.
Note: If you are paying for a Proton VPN subscription using Bitcoin, your subscription will not be automatically renewed. To minimize usage interruptions between billing cycles, make your Bitcoin payment at least 24 hours before your bill is due.
To pay cash, please send cash payments to the following address:
Route de la Galaise 32
We accept cash payments in US dollars (USD), euros (EUR), or Swiss francs (CHF). We don’t accept checks, money orders, or other forms of non-cash payments sent by post.
When sending a payment by cash, please include your Proton username so that we know which account to credit when the payment arrives.
We cannot be responsible for lost shipments, so we strongly recommend sending your payment using a service that provides a tracking number so you can track the shipment. It’s also helpful to notify us that you’re sending us cash in the mail, so we know to expect it.
Please note that we cannot process cash payments until the payment arrives at our offices by post. Please also note that cash payments are non-refundable.
You can pay by bank transfer using our IBAN number for your preferred currency.
Bank: UBS Switzerland AG
Beneficiary: Proton AG
Description: Your Proton Mail username
We accept payment in US dollars (USD), euros (EUR), or Swiss francs (CHF). The IBAN number depends on the currency you are using:
Once payment is made, please provide us with the following transfer details so we can verify the payment and credit your account.
- Name and last name shown on the transaction
- Date of the transaction
- Amount paid
Plan prices are available in your account Dashboard. Please note that we will attempt to issue refunds for bank transfers when requested, but this is not always possible. If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to contact us.