With our VPN for Mac application, it is now extremely simple to switch countries, create custom profiles, connect to the Tor network, and route your traffic through our Secure Core servers. Not to mention all the essential perks of ProtonVPN, like hiding your IP address, defending against cyber attacks, and unblocking censored content.
Download the ProtonVPN macOS app,
If you already have a ProtonVPN or ProtonMail account, you will be able to log in and begin using the app.
New users can create an account here.
We are particularly excited about our macOS app because so many members of our community have requested it. Our mission is to make cyber security and privacy easy and accessible, and this launch marks a major milestone. Given that more and more people are now using Mac devices, the demand for macOS security tools is no surprise. In recent months, we have worked closely with over ten thousand beta testers from the ProtonVPN community to fix bugs and develop an app that is easy to use and also looks great.
The initial feedback has been very positive and we’re excited to finally share with the rest of you our free MacOS VPN application.
Building a trustworthy free VPN service
As part of our mission to make online privacy accessible to everyone, ProtonVPN comes with a free version that anyone can use. Unlike other VPNs which claim to be “free”, ProtonVPN is actually free. There are no bandwidth limits, no ads, no logs, and unlike other “free” VPNs, we do not secretly sell your browsing data. If you would like to get access to advanced features and to support the project, you can upgrade to the paid version.
We built ProtonVPN to fill major shortcomings among the popular VPNs, some of which secretly contain malware or do not adequately protect users. ProtonVPN was developed by the same team of scientists who met at CERN and MIT and created ProtonMail, the world’s largest encrypted email service. Today, ProtonMail and ProtonVPN are used by millions of journalists, activists, businesses, and ordinary citizens around the world. With the launch of ProtonVPN for macOS, we’re bringing online security to even more people.
VPN for Mac features
Our new macOS app provides a highly secure (yet easy-to-use) alternative to OpenVPN applications like Tunnelblick. If you have used our apps for Android or Windows, you will recognize many of the features in our macOS VPN client.
- Easy to use. Upon launching the macOS VPN app, users can instantly connect to the fastest server with our Quick Connect feature.
- Modern IKEv2 protocol for higher performance. Enjoy a faster and more stable connection. IKEv2 offers much higher performance than OpenVPN, making ProtonVPN one of the fastest macOS VPNs (speeds can exceed 300 Mbps under the right conditions).
- Easily connect to any country with a single click. Choose from a list of available servers from around the world, or connect with a single click on the map.
- Choose from Secure Core servers, Tor servers, and P2P servers. The macOS app makes it easy for users with paid plans to take advantage of all our additional security, privacy, and file sharing features.
- Create and save custom connection profiles. When you find a server you like, you can easily create a custom profile for that connection.
- VPN Kill Switch. With the Kill Switch security feature enabled, ProtonVPN will cut your Internet connection if your connection to the VPN drops, preventing data from leaking when the VPN is not connected.
The macOS VPN app has already been through multiple rounds of testing, but we are constantly improving ProtonVPN and we welcome your feedback. If you have any suggestions or need support, you can reach out to us here.
Thank you again for your support, which is essential for keeping ProtonVPN freely accessible. Your support also allows us to develop new products and features, like our upcoming iOS app! We look forward to continuing to protect your online privacy.
You can follow us on social media to stay up to date on the latest ProtonVPN releases:
The ProtonVPN Team