Our mission at ProtonVPN is to make security and privacy available to all. That’s why ProtonVPN and ProtonMail will always support free plans that anyone can use. If you want to create a free VPN account, follow the simple steps below.
Create a free VPN account
1. In your web browser, go to https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn and click the Get ProtonVPN Free button. Or, you can click on the Signup button on our homepage.
2. Select the Free plan. If you use the URL above, once you click the Get ProtonVPN Free button, you will be taken to the signup page and the Free plan will be automatically selected. If you came from the homepage, you will need to select the Free plan on the signup page.
3. Create a username and password for your account. We also ask for a recovery email address. This is used in case you lose your password, so you can easily reset it and regain access to your account.
Enter the information and click on Create account.
4. In order to prevent misuse of our service, we need to check that you are human. Choose whether you want us to send a verification code to your email address or SMS number, and click Send.
You will receive a verification code sent to your email address or SMS. Please enter this 6-digit code into the box provided and click Verify.
If you do not receive the code, please check your spam folder or wait a few minutes before clicking on Did not receive the code? to request another one.
Alternatively, click Use another verification method to change the email address or SMS number that you would like us to send the code to.
5. Your free account signup is now complete. You will be automatically taken to our Downloads page, where you can download the ProtonVPN client for your platform.
With the ProtonVPN Free plan, you can access ProtonVPN servers in three countries: Netherlands, Japan, and US. Free users can only connect one device at a time. If you like the ProtonVPN Free plan, please consider upgrading to one of our paid plans. You can compare the ProtonVPN plan specifications on our Signup page.