Our mission at Proton VPN is to make security and privacy available to all. That’s why ProtonVPN and ProtonMail will always support free plans that anyone can use. If you want to create a free VPN account, follow the simple steps below.
Create a free VPN account
1. In your web browser, go to protonvpn.com/free-vpn and click the Get Proton VPN Free button. Or, you can click on the Get Proton VPN Free button on our homepage.
2. Select the Free plan. If you use the URL above, once you click the Get Proton VPN Free button, you will be taken to the signup page and the Free plan will be automatically selected. If you came from the homepage, you will need to click the Sign up for free button on the signup page.
3. Create a username and password for your account. We also ask for a recovery email address. This is used in case you lose your password, so you can easily reset it and regain access to your account.
Enter the information and click on Create account.
4. To prevent misuse of our service, we need to check that you are human. Choose whether you want to complete a CAPTCHA, or if you would like us to send a verification code to your Email address or SMS number.
If you choose Email or SMS, you will receive a verification code by that method. Please enter this 6-digit code into the box provided and click Verify.
If you do not receive the code, please check your spam folder or wait a few minutes before clicking on Did not receive the code? to request another one.
Alternatively, click the back button to change your human verification method.
5. Your free account signup is now complete. You will be automatically taken to our Downloads page, where you can download the Proton VPN client for your platform.
With the Proton VPN Free plan, you can access Proton VPN servers in three countries: Netherlands, Japan, and US. Free users can only connect one device at a time. If you like the Proton VPN Free plan, please consider upgrading to one of our paid plans. You can compare the Proton VPN plan specifications on our Signup page.