In this article, we address the installation, usage, and main features of our VPN application for Windows.
Proton VPN for Windows is the best way to stay secure when browsing the internet from your Windows device.
This article covers:
- Installing Proton VPN for Windows
- Using Proton VPN for Windows
- The main features of Proton VPN for Windows
1. Download Proton VPN by going to our Proton VPN for Windows page and clicking the Download Proton VPN button.
2. In the pop-up window that appears, click Save File.
3. Once it has downloaded, click on the EXE file to open it, and click Yes when asked if you want the app to make changes to your device.
4. This will open the Proton VPN installation wizard. Click Next to begin the installation process.
5. Choose the language you would like to use from the dropdown menu and click Next.
6. Select the installation location for Proton VPN and click Next.
7. On the next window, click Install to begin the installation process.
8. Proton VPN will then be installed to your device.
9. Once the installation is completed, click Finish to exit the setup wizard.
10. Once completed, the app will open and you will be able to sign in to your account. If you have not yet created an account, you can click Create Account in the bottom left of the app sign in page (or click here to sign up).
Sign in to Proton VPN
Open Proton VPN from your taskbar or desktop icon, if you created one. Once you open Proton VPN you will be asked to log in using the credentials you created on signup. If you haven’t created a Proton VPN account, you can do so using the Create Account link in the bottom left of the app, or click here.
Once you have signed in, the Windows VPN UI will open on your device. The Windows Proton VPN app allows for quick and easy connection to our VPN servers.
To immediately connect to a VPN server, click the Quick Connect button, which will ensure you connect to the closest server with the least load, to give you the best performance.
Once you are connected, you will see a lock at the top of the window and the heading Connected, as well as a session traffic graph at the bottom.
Connect to a specific country
To the left of the user interface, you will see two tabs which say Countries and Profiles. By default, Countries will be selected. Beneath this tab is a list of countries where Proton VPN servers are located.
To connect to the fastest server in the country of your choice, hover over the country and then click Connect.
To connect to a specific server in a country, click the arrow next to the country of your choice to expand the list of servers in that country. Connect to the server of your choice by hovering over it and then clicking Connect.
Some of these servers have specialty uses, such as Tor or P2P sharing servers. These types of servers are denoted with unique icons. For example, Tor servers have an onion logo, while servers that support P2P sharing have a two-way arrow icon.
Proton VPN Windows application menu
To access the Proton VPN menu, click the hamburger button (≡). Once the menu is opened, you’ll be able to access the following aspects:
- About — information about the app, including version, the last time the app was updated, and the changelog
- Account — view the account you’re logged in to, the type of account you have, the Proton VPN plan you have, and manage your account
- Profiles — view and edit the profiles you have created
- Settings — change general, connection, or advanced settings
- Help — opens Proton VPN’s support center
- Report a Bug — opens a bug report form
- Logout — logs you out of your Proton VPN account
- Exit — closes the Proton VPN app
Proton VPN Settings
The Proton VPN settings menu includes General, Connection, and Advanced tabs.
In the General tab, you can:
- Select the language you would like to use Proton VPN in
- Choose to start Proton VPN minimized to the Systray or Taskbar
- Turn notifications on or off
- Turn on Early access to get the latest updates of Proton VPN
In the Connection tab, you can:
- Enable Auto connect whether Proton VPN automatically connects to a chosen profile on app launch
- Change Quick connect settings to connect you to either the fastest server or a random server
- Select which VPN protocol Proton VPN uses
- Turn on VPN Accelerator and select whether you want it to automatically switch to a faster server and notify you when it does
- Configure Custom DNS servers
In the Advanced tab, you can:
- Choose your OpenVPN network driver (TAP adapter or TUN adapter)
- Allow or turn off alternative routing to bypass firewalls or network issues
- Switch IPv6 leak protection on or off
- Toggle Hardware acceleration (you may wish to switch this off if you get screen glitches)
- Turn on Split tunneling and choose which apps are included or excluded from the VPN tunnel
Note: In the Advanced tab, there is also an option for DNS leak protection which is permanently switched on.