Since we developed our native iOS application, we highly recommend using it instead of this method. You can find it in the App Store here.
This method is still viable if you are facing issues with our native application or just want to see if the protocol that it uses works on your network.
1. Download ProtonVPN IKEv2 certificate and click Install when prompted: https://protonvpn.com/download/ProtonVPN_ike_root.der
2. The certificate-installation dialog will appear. Tap Install in each of the steps:
If you are using iOS 13 or newer, see 2.1.
2.1) If you are using iOS 13 or newer, you will get a notification that the profile is downloaded.
3. Once installation steps are completed, tap the Done button.
If you are using iOS 13 or newer, see 3.1.
3.1) If you are using iOS 13 or newer, once the certificate is downloaded, navigate to Settings, tap on Profile Downloaded and then tap on the Install option in the top-right corner to install the certificate.
4. Open the VPN section in the General settings menu.
5. Tap on Add VPN Configuration…
6. Type in these settings:
Type : IKEv2
Description : (any name you want to use)
Server : Enter the hostname of the server you wish to connect to (for example us-nj-01.protonvpn.com). Server hostnames can be found in the Downloads category in your account, under Server Configs section. Each server is named according to its server number and first two letters: https://account.protonvpn.com/downloads
Remote ID : Same hostname as in the Server field.
Local ID : Leave it empty.
User Authentication : Username
Username : Your OpenVPN/IKEv2 username.
Password : Your OpenVPN/IKEv2 password.
You can check your OpenVPN/IKEv2 credentials in the Account section.
Proxy : Off.
7. Newly created VPN configuration will appear. Tap the Status slider to connect and tap it again to disconnect.
You have now finished the iOS IKEv2 VPN setup, and you can proceed to access the ProtonVPN servers through the IKEv2 protocol.